Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Wedding, a Knife; A Finger, a Death

I’m married. No secret there. Had my fifteenth wedding anniversary last month. If you were to ask about my, about “our” most memorable moments, there’d be a lack of uniformity in our descriptions. Our memories, for whatever reasons, seem fragmented, seem splintered. Small episodic events, unless photographed and studied, never quite achieving accuracy. Where to begin?

We both agreed about the cake, at least the cutting tradition, how someone from the kitchen grabbed an engraved knife (the names are lost on us, the proofs returned long ago) and helped stage the close-up hand shots for the inebriated photographer. What type of cake? How many tiers? These questions are better answered by my wife, her active role in the planning stage a clear advantage. She could quote the cost too, I’m sure. And what of the wedding date (definitely not ours) engraved on that silver knife with an off-white marble handle? (I do remember that.)

So why, you may ask, have I mentioned the knife? Why focus on what’s not “ours”? (Here’s the rub: what happens to be mine, my wedding ring, has another woman’s name engraved in it. I didn’t make that discovery until some ten years later.) So why reflect on the negative? Why not reflect on something positive? Why, after a month’s delay, have I decided to write about our wedding?

Here’s why: During Monday’s breakfast of Shredded Wheat (yes, my braces can handle it), while sipping coffee and reading the newspaper, I came across the photo of the Reverend Father Pasquale LoGrasso. He performed our wedding ceremony. I asked my wife, “What do you remember about him?” She mentioned her family’s moment of sadness, the grief, the sobbing heard inside the church, how Father Pasquale, against our wishes, dedicated the mass to her 92 year old grandfather who had passed away one day prior to our wedding (her Grandfather’s proclamation: I’m going to see my last grandchild get married). I asked again, “Yeah, I know all that, but what distinguishing characteristic do you remember about Father Pasquale?”

My question had been lost on her. She stated the obvious: He was a man of the cloth. He wore glasses. He spoke with an accent. It wasn’t until my leading question did she remember. “Wasn’t his index finger severed at the first knuckle?” I asked. “You’re right,” she answered, only to inquire as to why I would bring that up. “I’ve always wondered,” I continued, “what happened. Did someone pinch it in a car door? Did he shave it off with a table saw? Did he poke it through a chain link fence harboring a pit bull? What happened?”

Neither of us knew. I cut out his obituary. I read it again. He died at the age of 76. May he rest in peace.

10 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Congrats on the anniversary. Sorry to hear about the preacher, though. I always wonder how people have lost limbs, digits, etc., but I can never bring myself to ask, y'know?

the walking man said...

I'm *ahem* more forward than Lana, I always ask.

How did all of the things with other peoples names get into your wedding?

I remember 3 things about my own

1 I was in a full leg cast because I had my ankle stomped in a bar fight a couple of weeks before it.

2 I didn't get drunk at the reception and played with the band for a set anyway.

3 The attorney who handled my divorce had been appointed a judge and he married us.

PS thanks for reminding me; our anniversary is this month. I'm buying the old lady a different house for a present.

Charles Gramlich said...

Lana and I had cornbread instead of cake.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Well, take it from an Eastern European, but the last time I played around, I got my ring finger caught in a machine.
Heard a voice above, "That'll larn ya!"

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim,
this one also grabbed me, evoked a lot of memories, actually.

My paternal grandfather had part of a finger missing, can't rememember if it was from a lawn mower or an industrial accident, though.

Salud -- good work.

Whitenoise said...

Did it involve the engraved knife? Was your wedding ring on the severed part? Was the perpetrator's name the one on both the knife and the ring?

Dang, too many red herrings in this story... ;-)

Ruth W. said...

Well, unfortunately I can top this story. I managed to lose 3 fingers just past the first joint 10 years ago while on a sailboat on Lake Superior. Lets just say, I have great respect of rope now!!!..:)

JR's Thumbprints said...

TWM, I've often asked myself about the name occurrences.

Ruth W., Ouch, three times over.

Charles & Lana, Cornbread seems easy to remember.

Whitenoise, My life's a red herring.

Ivan, I can't afford to play around.

Erik, Yeah, that memory thing seems to fail me once in awhile, but I guess I need to ask the important questions once in awhile.

Bobby said...

It's weird how a detail like that opens up other dimensions for you to consider...and how it somehow adds more to the identity of the person who would otherwise have remained kind of one dimensional in your memory. Memory is weird...we'll never figure it out.

Donnetta Lee said...

Guess he took the secret of the finger to his grave. I've been married 22 years (this time). hahaha I remember the details of the wedding well. A judge friend of ours married us. My son was the ring bearer. It was a garden wedding. Our little dog wore a ribbon in her "hair." On and on. Hubby found his wedding suit last week and gave it to the Goodwill. Memories.
Donnetta

PS You look mighty happy in that picture!