Wednesday, September 24, 2008

28 YEARS LATER














When my brother handed over a misplaced sealed envelope addressed to me twenty-eight years earlier, instead of questioning how it came into his possession, or asking why I hadn’t received it in the first place, I concentrated on its mysterious content. Holding it to the light—the return address: Bruce Township Parks & Recreation (I had life guarded for them at my high school back when I had six-pack abs)—I noticed what looked like a family crest or coat of arms. We were sitting at the dinner table with our parents, and although they demanded I open it, I felt “no need” in hurrying. “Maybe it’s a royalty check,” I said, knowing otherwise, hoping my hesitancy would go unnoticed, whatever honor I had bestowed upon the family could wait.

My brother had his own twenty-eight year old sealed envelope; this one from Albion College. I suggested he open his first. He tore into it and started reading. It was a recruitment letter, June 1980, inviting him to tryout for their cross-country team. Back then my brother grew despondent regarding Michigan Tech’s rescinded offer for him to attend their engineering program; they withdrew their acceptance based on his poor test results in Physics.

My guess: he grabbed both letters and stuffed them into a filing cabinet; his dreams momentarily dashed, tucked away and forgotten. “Okay,” he said, “it’s your turn.”

Using the butter knife beside my dinner plate, I sliced into my envelope and peered inside. How ironic!—Where his letter offered a viable option, a promising alternative, mine documented a past event with a questionable, yet appropriate, symbol. I had registered for a long distance race, and to show that they received my entry form, Bruce Township Parks & Recreation cut along the dotted line and mailed back the top portion. That important family crest or coat of arms?—Pilsner Lite Beer—an obvious sponsor to a 10,000 meter race I had started and finished in our local high school’s parking lot.

So here we are now: My brother, the overachiever, the laid-off engineer with an MBA, and me, the underachiever, the overworked teacher of convicts, who three decades ago wrecked his vehicle in a drunk driving accident.

13 comments:

eric1313 said...

You know exactly how to hit home. Your writing style is always accessible and the subject more often than not is very easy to relate to, even if it is out of the ordinary realm most of us deal in.

And the irony! Love it. It's all over the place.

Glad to see you're still pushing, too. Thanks for the words that lift and encourage over at my place. They do indeed help.

Respect.

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely a neat little tale. I'm wondering how he has possession of it.

the walking man said...

1980...could you still run 10k? I NEVER could run 10 blocks.

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Wonderful piece! Good luck in your work getting published, and thank you for your "catchy" comment. Have a wonderful day!Petra

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

p.s. Eric, if you enjoy film you may want to stop by at Whose Role... After reading a mini-film script to the left, there's a choice of actors/actresses to play that character...if you're so inclined. Thank you again, Eric. Petra

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Oh my, Jr, I called you Eric. I think because of the commenter's name immediately to the left of
"leave your comment," or it's just too early! Please accept my apology. Petra

Whitenoise said...

Interesting turn of events... Hopefully those shares of Microsoft I emailed you in 1980 will show up soon...

Bobby said...

You should give your brother a punch in the arm really hard. And then a hug. Charge him interest if he ever borrows money from you.

Donnetta Lee said...

What a story, JR. Brothers are brothers. I've got one, too. Very nicely written by the way.
D

hrtp://www.creativewriting.ca said...

Never mind high school.

My department head some years ago, told all and sundry: "You know what the asshole did? He pranged his car."

Anonymous said...

Failing schools should advertise tobacco and alcohol products on their buses.

Erik Donald France said...

Good one. The old filed unsealed letter. The fickle finger of fate.
Like the idea of time capsules.

At least they weren't "zombie debts."

My father just gave me a piece of hard tack thrown to his father from a WWI doughboy on a passing train in 1917 when he was nine -- the cracker is still intact, with something scrawled in pencil over the top. There's another story there, surely.

Lana Gramlich said...

I loved the truth about the "coat of arms" in there. ;) *L*
As a kid I was a child prodigy. As a result, I was always held back by my parents, who didn't want to give my (same-aged) brother "a complex." As a result, he's the driven, "keeping up w/the Joneses" achiever & I'm largely the cynical slacker. Fortunately the current downturn in our economy isn't so harmful on the cynical slacker types. Funny how things turn out...