Tuesday, March 10, 2009

READ THIS


















Working in a prison school, in an assembly-line style of educational instruction—make them do the work and send them down the line—you develop a certain callousness, a certain uncaring attitude, after all, the student population is a malleable, unstatic mess; it’s dirt swept under the administrator’s rug. Old students leave; new students arrive. Keep them moving. Keep pushing that broom.

I need a bigger broom.

When I process Prisoner Walker’s enrollment papers, documenting that he has “officially” started my class, I tell him, “I need your John Hancock.”

The inmate standing to his immediate right helps out. He says, “Where my thumb is.”

Mr. Walker scrawls his name across the document.

I continue. “Mr. Walker,” I say, “I’m going to add a statement to this report. Don’t get offended, I’m not a doctor, I can’t make the diagnosis, but I’m going to write: Student appears to be blind. He wears dark sunglasses and is aided by a cane and guide.”

Two days later I pull his school file. I discover a copied email from a Health Care Supervisor stating that Mr. Walker is indeed legally blind and will not be able to participate in school unless accommodations are provided.

Did I miss a staff meeting? Can someone please tell me where we keep our Braille? Or did Mr. Walker have some kind of cornea transplant and is playing me for a fool?

I've truly seen it all.

8 comments:

the walking man said...

With both hands firmly on the handle pull the broom back and press forward with a firm down stroke motion, repeat until semester is over.

Charles Gramlich said...

I predict you will recieve a further surprise soon. As soon as you say you've seen it all, the world will send you something new.

Whitenoise said...

Very funny. You almost have to admire someone who finds creative new ways to work the system.

Beth said...

Your posts about working in a prison lend credence to the expression, “Truth is stranger than fiction.”

ivan@creaetivewriting.ca said...

It gets worse, Jim.

Had to teach academic upgrading at a Canadian college. "Hey, teach, what's a John Hancock?"
I do a double-take and say, "I'm going to keep a low profile after that."
"What's a low profile, Sir?

You have my sympathies.
So glad to get back to teaching real students.

Catvibe said...

Oh my...
I was a reader for several years in college for a blind student. Sounds like that isn't an option over there at the jail. What has my curiosity up is, what did the blind student do to get put in jail?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Catvibe, He killed his wife.

Lana Gramlich said...

Ah, bureaucracy in action...