Friday, March 13, 2009

IT'S WHAT I'VE STEPPED INTO



I suppose I’m like most working stiffs, happy to be employed, doing a job that I never in a million years dreamt about doing. On occasion I’ll hear people say, “I love my work. I love my job.” These are the people I love to hate. Call it envy.

When is the so-called awakening? When does one realize their special calling or talent? Without getting all religious on anyone, I’ve found times where I think I’ve stepped into my element, found my niche; then I have those days when reality sinks in, where self-discovery comes in the form of shit caked onto the waffle-bottom of my shoe.

I’ve often defined myself as a convict teacher, much to the chagrin of The Walking Man and others. In fact, TWM thinks I shouldn’t limit my self-identity; we are, after all, multi-dimensional, not cardboard cut-out characters. I know he’s right. The way I see it: I spend the majority of my waking hours inside a correctional facility supervising prisoners. It’s what I’d like to think I’m good at. It’s also what I write about most of the time. It’s what I’ve stepped into.

Twenty-some years ago, I met a fellow college student in an Early American Literature Course. We became friends, if only for a short time. She went her way. I went mine. She had an undying passion for Victorian literature and continued her studies in Illinois, earning a master degree and PhD. She also wrote a book in her area of expertise. I haven’t spoken to her in decades. I sometimes wonder if she had any missteps along the way; I seriously doubt it; I’d have a hard time believing it. Check out her YouTube video.

As for me, I’ll continue my journey, not knowing whether I’m headed in the right direction but knowing that it’s the people I meet along the way, it’s what keeps me plodding along.

15 comments:

the walking man said...

Any movement in any direction is proof that at the least you're not stagnant Jim. And stagnation is the only way rot occurs. Be glad that you're not wearing sandals.

JR's Thumbprints said...

There's always something to be thankful for. Barefoot would be even worse or walking on your hands.

Donsie said...

wow.... JR and Ivan... what an insight... Funny that I went through the same exercise this week and as I posted today... it's time for a new life cycle.
I am only 31 years old now… and my life made some interesting turns but I also believe that you must try to live you dream and the success you make of it is your own “fault”.
Sometimes you have to make some sacrifices to get where you want to be… as long as you are happy in the end…

Whitenoise said...

Self-identity is a funny thing, we always see ourselves or what we want ourselves to be so differently from how others see us.

I was at a wedding two years ago- an interesting and diverse crowd. I wanted to talk about films, books and current events but I was pigeon-holed as "the pilot". People asked the same old polite questions- then moved on. It was frustrating and disappointing because I have a job but I am not my job.

Beth said...

We’re often defined by our jobs, what we “do” – but there is so much more to our lives. In your case, your writing…
I think of you as a man “comfortable in his skin” – in all aspects of your life – including the journey you’re on.

Charles Gramlich said...

I don't know, man. Her research sounds pretty boring to me.

Erik Donald France said...

It's a tough call. Especially because we're here today and gone tomorrow in the grand scheme of things. Good to think about.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Charles, Yeah -boring- but not to her. Can you hear the passion in her voice? It's like she knew which direction her education would take her. As for me, I had absolutely know idea where I was headed ... then I landed in prison.

the walking man said...

Which is the prison Jim...The prison or the location?

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

I loved this piece, the honesty of it. I don't feel any other calling except writing, but I've done a lot of jobs that have eaten time and defined me and still define me. But I agree with Mark that we are more than what we do - it's just that sometimes it doesn't feel like it.

jodi said...

JR, I know I have said it before, but what we do is not who we are. Maybe a small part of the overall amalgam, but it's really the lessons of what we do that define us. Keep plodding along, ok?

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the read and comments. MW

David Cranmer said...

As a former MP and occasional security officer I have a great deal of respect for what you do.

Celticspirit said...

It's hard for me put work together with *happiness*. The two just do not seem to go together. Every day at work I count down the hours until I can go home. I know I should not feel that way because it makes my time there miserable. When it's busy I don't have time to think much but when it's slow...the time just drags on and on and my mind begins to wander and I think about and wonder what I should really be doing....and I don't even know what that is.

Lana Gramlich said...

I realized I was born to be a park ranger when I was 30 & there was no more funding for park rangers. Go figure. Not that I'm complaining about my stress-free, part-time library job, mind you!