Monday, July 7, 2008

SHEEPHEAD














A student doing time for retail fraud and uttering & publishing, when confronted for the umpteenth time with the same procedural error: You cannot add the denominators of fractions, defended himself.

“I,” he said, “was a mathematical genius at my old school.”

What school? The school for dummies.

I asked, “What grade?”

“Fourth grade.”

I wasn’t in the mood to unearth the truth in his statement; after all, he internalized it, he believed it, and quite possibly, he’d stake his last dying breath on it. So maybe, just maybe, he had been the sharpest fourth grader in his class … his school … his district. He spoke with such conviction, such sincerity. He believed himself and that took precedent over all else.

“How old are you now?” I continued.

He started mean-mugging me, watery eyes and all. He knew where this conversation was headed. “Twenty-seven,” he answered.

Then I said it. I probably shouldn’t have. But I said it. “And you’re stuck at the fourth grade level.”

Then he did what most convicts do. He played with my emotions, he tugged at my heart strings, he announced that he had a closed-head injury which in turn led to short term memory loss.

“When was this?”

“Fifth grade,” he answered.

11 comments:

Ruth W. said...

I truly do not know how you stand it!! However, it does seem to be entertaining.

Charles Gramlich said...

We are only as old as our closed brain injuries.

the walking man said...

Bummer

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Ooh.

An O. Henry ending.

Erik Donald France said...

"Mean-mugging" -- a neo-phrasism?

Either way, it's an apt way to put it.

Convicts and street waifs have psychology down to an art, don't they? There's always the slightest bit of self-doubt.

Whitenoise said...

Must take a great deal of patience...

Bobby said...

You can't add demon-ators? Who says?

Enemy of the Republic said...

Oh, good. You are back.

Lana Gramlich said...

OMG...that's horrible...

Johnny Yen said...

He was probably a math genius at his old school because he knew the metric system-- specifically about grams and how much per gram.

Roz said...

Thing is... people like this come out of prison and become our coworkers and neighbors. What can be done for them?