Friday, June 27, 2008

IMAGINARY NONFICTION














I’ve taken up this new sport called “imaginary nonfiction,” my thoughts racing full-blast into the eye of a storm. I’ve been searching for the disappearance of a coworker, for a limb, for something to toss a lifeline to. He’s been submerged for far too long, the dark green water churning my thoughts.

In the school office in a plastic tray in plain view lay a copy of my Traverse City expense report, my social security number crossed-out, yet my address and phone number clearly visible. What if an inmate-porter intercepts this information? And if so, how will it be used against me? Perhaps he'll sell it to another inmate who will enter my phone number into a smuggled cell phone, and if caught, concoct an elaborate story of how I knew him in the “real world,” how I knew he was at our facility and didn’t report it, how I willingly keestered in a bag of dope every day of every month in exchange for a considerable amount of money.

Need I remind you, dear reader, that this is “imaginary nonfiction,” and, although it poses a real threat, only exists in the deep gray matter of one’s brain. We all have our price, but the inmates can’t afford me, and I sincerely believe they couldn’t afford my coworker as well.

A deputy warden, having done time himself, once said: It’s the prisoners’ job to ask and our job to say “no.”

—No, you can’t have a bathroom break.
—No, I’m not bringing magazines in for you.
—No, you can’t leave the classroom to go to the yard.

“No” breeds contempt. “No” breeds retaliation. The trick to longevity is to fight back with all your might. Fighting back means hiring the best defense lawyer money can buy. I’ll wait for my coworker to reappear. I’ll wait for someone to give me an explanation as to what happened. But I won’t wait to throw him that lifeline. It's the least I can do.

12 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Sometimes I consider how close any of us actually are to very bad tidings. One mistaken identity, one hesitation in answering a question, one flake of DNA left behind in the last 50 years & any of us could be incarcerated unjustly. I know it's not likely, but it IS possible & it DOES happen, y'know? I hate to say it, but I'd even be hesitant to report witnessing a crime, lest I be considered a suspect!
Sorry your personal information was left exposed like that. Such potential for bad!

Charles Gramlich said...

A different kind of war zone you've got there.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the "imanginary nonfiction." You sure are one hell of a tale spinner. If you know what I mean ? MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

When coworkers vanish, it's only right to question the system, to ask: Will I be next?

I hope not.

Erik Donald France said...

Well, Kafka == Detroit-style. Detroit reality. Detroit creative. Detroit Non-fiction. Detroit noir. Detroit's imaginary. Hats off to you . . .

Also, that lake shot looks very liberating.

As it was in the days of Prohibition, I suppose ;->

the walking man said...

T continue the imaginary part of this non-fiction...after the large dollar defense attorney wipes out your minuscule savings acct you become chained to the same system, for a living, which caused your enslavement. You're too old to move on.

Donnetta Lee said...

Looking for the limb. Might be a long look. Perhaps he doesn't want to be found. Hmm. Direction here could go many ways. You look good at the helm of the boat, Jim!
Donnetta

ghee said...

heya!!JR!!Its been a while!Thanks for the visit,it reminded me how much I miss your posts. :)

I will be back tomorrow to read...its 2 40 am already and im so sleepy.....


Nice to see you again!!

Ghee

Christina said...

Wow that sounds really good. Are you going to make it into a story? If you didn't remind me that it was an "imaginary nonfiction," halfway through it, I would have thought this was something you were really dealing with. The phone number and address thing scares me already.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

I like your new genre! It's a cool idea -- why not imaginary nonfiction?

patterns of ink said...

Great fiction begins as a plausible "what if." I think you're on a great storyline (which we hope would not happen to you and which you may not want to share with your family. Have you seen "Cape Fear"? Yikes!)

Hope you hear something encouraging on your recent submissions.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Christina, I am "really dealing with it." Thanks everyone for the comments. Now, if only my coworker, who used to read my blog regularly, would give me a "shout out" by saying, "I'm going to be okay."