Monday, October 27, 2008

HALLOWEEN TRAUMA

















Mothers should not, I repeat SHOULD NOT, make their children's Halloween costumes. Nor should they be able to accessorize. Let the kids come up with their own attire.

Many moons ago (not long enough to forget) I had wanted to be a brave warrior, one with war paint, a tomahawk, and a feather. Do you see a feather? Do you see war paint? Do I look fierce? Does the ring on my right hand scare you? Does it make me more Native Americanish?

My brother (the old white man/traditional hobo) and I may have scored plenty of candy that year, but at what cost? At what damage to my psyche?

"Trick or Treat!" We'd yell. "Trick or Treat!"

It didn't matter who was behind the door; The reactions were pretty much the same. "Here's a Bit O'Honey for you little man, and here's one for your little sister."

The rabbit's foot around my neck did not bring me one ounce of good luck. Everyone thought I was a squaw! A SQUAW! The make-up on my face didn't help either.

9 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

...but you're a CUTE squaw! :)

Charles Gramlich said...

I don't know, man. If I were to see you in that get up in a dark alley I'd think I'd fallen into a twilight zone about evil little Indian dolls or something.

Ruth W. said...

Oh my....that is a bad costume.

Anonymous said...

You look like a kachina. Your moms had much foresight. Isn't this a repeat? :) MW

the walking man said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha You got tricked Jim!

Whitenoise said...

Should just cut some eye-holes in bedsheets, dude. Ghost costumes. Deadly simple.

Donnetta Lee said...

No one can humiliate us quite like our mothers can! But weren't you just precious. D

jodi said...

Aww.ww.. Mom was just tryin' to be creative. Try to think of the experience making you the dimentional (not delusional)person you are today!

Rick said...

I'd like to be reassuring, man, but... well, you know.